We’re looking for a Grants and Engagement Manager to support the network with grant writing and reporting, communications, and managing membership, including tracking membership contributions.
Ariadne is a network of European funders who work together to strengthen philanthropy, help funders act strategically, and encourage new donors to enter the field with maximum impact. Our vision is of a Europe where a strong philanthropic sector helps protect and promote human rights and social change. Our current membership extends across 22 countries.
Ariadne hosts regular learning and networking events, coordinates a mentoring scheme, and operates an online portal where members can share ideas and information. Over the past two years the network has been operating virtually, but typically Ariadne holds in-person gatherings several times per year in different parts of Europe. The language of the central network is English, with sub-networks working in French, Dutch, German, and Italian.
The Grants and Engagement Manager is a critical member of the Ariadne team, helping to engage members through various communications tools, including our members-only online portal. We have recently moved to a new platform, and part of the Manager’s job will be to help encourage use of this new technology and manage further improvements to the platform. Ariadne’s income is drawn from a combination of membership contributions, conference fees, and core and project-based grants. The Manager will assist the Ariadne Director with grant writing and reporting, as well as tracking membership contributions and encouraging members to support the network.
Ariadne comprises a small team of four people with current staff based in London and Brussels. This position could be based remotely, although we are looking for candidates within Europe or the UK. Ariadne is hosted by Global Dialogue, which is registered in England and Wales as a charity (1122052) and a company limited by guarantee (05775827). If the successful candidate is based outside the UK, they will be offered comparative compensation either through a consultancy contract or through an employer of Record.
• Develop relationships with Ariadne members and partner networks to secure and grow the membership across Europe
• Oversee the membership database and requests for membership contributions Grant Applications and Reporting
• Responsible for drafting grant applications and reports to funders (narrative and financial)
• Helping to track expenditure across multi-donor projects and activities
• Drafting quarterly reports to Ariadne’s fiscal sponsor
• Develop and lead the network’s communication strategy
• Create and prepare Ariadne’s monthly newsletter and teaser, including development of the newsletter’s content
• Produce Ariadne’s Annual Report
• Manage the Ariadne website and Twitter account
• Management of the members’ portal, including in-person and online trainings on how to use
Ariadne tools and the portal:
• Monitor and post research, blogs, events and other items of relevance to social change and human rights donors on the Ariadne online portal
• Manage the portal homepage and its content
• Line manages the Administration & Events Officer
• Contribute ideas for the network and portal to help keep them interesting and lively
• Ensure that Ariadne’s services and tools are up to date with the latest technology used in the
• Provide assistance to the Ariadne director as needed
We are committed to being a diverse team and are looking for talented people from a wide range of
backgrounds, cultures and experiences who share our values. We strongly encourage people from
underrepresented groups to apply.
We are looking for someone with the following skills and experience:
• Excellent communication skills, including excellent writing and editing skills in English
• Grant writing and reporting experience
• Experience developing external communications strategies and managing communications tools
• Numeracy skills and the ability to develop and track budgets
• IT skills, including familiarity with CRM software and basic website management
• Five years of relevant work experience
• Ability to work independently but as part of a team
• Ability to juggle multiple tasks and prioritise
• Interest in human rights and social change
• Permission to live and work in the UK or other EU country
• Previous work experience with philanthropy or in the non-profit sector
• Previous management experience
• Experience liaising with web and tech developers
• Understanding of the issues facing social change and human rights donors
• Written and spoken proficiency in a second European language
Terms and Conditions
• Working hours: full-time
• Reports to: Ariadne Director
• Salary: £30,000 – £35,000 per annum (or equivalent)
• Start date: as soon as possible
• Location: Flexible within the UK and Europe
The closing date for applications is 5pm GMT on 25th February 2022.
To apply: please submit a maximum two-page CV and a one-page cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the following subject line: “Ariadne Manager: Last name, first name”. The filename of your CV should be “LastnameFirstname_CV” and that of your cover letter should be “LastnameFirstname_Cover”.
Please note that due to the large number of applications we receive, we will only be able to contact short-listed candidates.
Ariadne tries to create a work environment safe and open to all employees, respecting the full spectrum of race, colour, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliations, ancestry, age, disability, and all other protected characteristics. We encourage applications from those who are less represented in philanthropy