How we help funders
Resources for Funders
One of Ariadne’s functions is to provide resources for funders. These are created by the Ariadne community, sometimes in collaboration with other networks. Detailed access is through the private Ariadne portal, but public facing versions can found here. Every year Ariadne creates an Annual Forecast for the social change and human rights sector. This looks at trends and the changing environment, globally and at country level in a number of European jurisdictions. Ariadne has also help create the first-ever study of the philanthropic community’s response to ongoing discrimination and increasing violence and the need for greater cultural understanding, inclusion, and equity. It enables foundations active in addressing bias and promoting social change and rights across Europe to understand their grantmaking priorities in the context of the larger funder community. For foundations that want to become active, it offers numerous examples of approaches funders are taking to address these issues. One of the central problems grant-makers face in their work is Challenging the Closing Space for Civil Society, a global trend that seeks to limit or, in some countries destroy, civil society. Ariadne has helped to create an Action Guide so funders can understand and counter this trend. Ariadne also collects grant-making data annually from social change funders as part of a global project to provide Knowledge Tools. Access to detailed data from this is only via the Ariadne portal, but the overall funding trends and a list of the top 25 funders in every field is issued publicly. These and more can be found in Resources for Funders.
Michael Jarvis, the Director of the Transparency and Accountability Initiative, has suggested we should stop using the frame ‘closing civic…
This post was co-written by Julie Broome and Tom Walker, and is cross-posted from Glasspockets (original can be found here).…
Follow us @AriadneNetwork
- European foundations, philanthropic organisations & policymakers have come together to jointly launch the @DafneHQ… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1108772478938169346
- @ICPAnarratives An excellent resource! Please do share more with us!
- Thanks for having us, @evzfoundation! And thanks to the more than 150 funders across Europe who have shared with us… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1101500544336695296
- "Why we need more talk about ‘closing civic space’ not less: a response to Michael Jarvis, from TAI." A blog for Ar… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1090602882720763905
- Over the past month, we've invited 12 international experts to discuss the #EP2019 elections with funders. For thos… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1072878143835422721